larb gai: thai chicken salad
Perfect for the warmer weather we love this recipe for Larb Gai.
Create and then match with a bottle of the 2016 RieslingFreak No.3 Clare Valley Riesling for a summer afternoon well spent.
1. Add the raw rice to a pan over high heat and toss for 3 minutes or until the rice is toasted, fragrant and golden brown. Remove the toasted rice from the pan and allow to cool before transferring to a mortar and pestle (or food processor) and grinding to a course powder.
2. Heat the oil in the pan until very hot, then add the chicken and cook over high heat until it is cooked through and browned. You may need to stir it to break up any lumps that form.
3. Lower the heat and add the lemongrass, chilli and garlic, stirring for 2 minutes or until the garlic is cooked and aromatic.
4. Remove from the heat and add the sweet chilli sauce, lime juice, fish sauce and brown sugar. Allow to cool slightly.
5.Add the sliced onion, bean sprouts, coriander, mint and lime leaves, stir to combine
6. Spoon the chicken mixture into crisp lettuce cups and sprinkle with the toasted rice and sliced cucumber just before serving.
2 tablespoons Rice
1 tablespoon oil
500g chicken mince
1 stalk lemongrass, only the lower white part sliced thinly
1 long red chilli, seeded and finely sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1/4 cup (60ml) sweet chilli sauce
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice and the grated zest
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 red onion, thinly sliced
2 cups (110g) bean sprouts
1 cup coriander leaves
1 cup Vietnamese mint leaves
4 kaffir lime leaves, finely shredded
1 small cucumber
1 small iceberg lettuce, leaves separated